Friday, July 17, 2009

Happy 64! - Susan Wiltsey Smith, St. Jude's Cedar City

Experiencing General Convention is both exhilarating and exhausting and at the same time endlessly addicting. I want to rest and can’t wait for the next committee meeting or legislation session to begin. As an endlessly happy shopper I also want to go to the exhibit hall and brouse through booths that speak to all my interests except Shakespeare. As an alternate deputy I have more freedom of how to use my time, but still go to as many committee hearings and legislative sessions as I possibly can.

What is best is experiencing our whole church, which we can only do at General Convention. Whatever is happening, there is a deep connection as though I have known these people as close friends my whole life. To feel our deep connection as joy and prayer and laughter is worth more than I can say. Everyone from deputies, volunteers, exhibitors, ECW women, visitors, fellow deputies, the secretary, the parliamentarian, and presiders of both houses – Pres Bonnie Anderson and the Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Shori – have been gracious, sincere, and funny.

It has been a real pleasure to experience this church. I love the sense of mission, the prayerful way we handle anything, the humanity of the laughter, the way that we are human and seeking rather than pious, not taking ourselves too seriously. That interesting authenticity of being God-centered followers of Jesus, while never losing sight of our human foibles. I am grateful and humble to be calling The Episcopal Church mine.

With blessings and peace, Susan Wiltsey Smith on the morning of my 64th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment