Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Definitions

Hello all:

We have had one request for definitions about the various resolutions. This is what I think I know:

"A" resolutions are presented by official agencies, boards, and commissions of The Episcopal Church - for example, the Standing Commission on Whatever.

"B" resolutions are presented by Bishops.

"C" resolutions are presented by committees - for example, the Executive Committee on the Status of Women.

"D" resolutions are presented by deputies.

Tomorrow (Thursday) at 5pm is the deadline for filing resolutions. So far about 500 resolutions have been filed.

Once a resolution has been filed, it is assigned to a legislative committee (formed just for this Convention). There are something like 28 legislative committees, from Rules to Courtesy Resolutions and just about everything in between. The legislative committees hold hearings on resolutions in their care, deliberate, and report out to the House of Deputies and the House of Bishops. Those two houses deliberate and vote to accept the resolution or not. Both houses must accept any resolution - just like our own federal and state legislative systems. I think there is a lot of gaming that goes on, but I'm not experienced enough to say.

Of course, all this could be wrong and merely a pigment of my imagination. I'll double check my facts, and let you know where I've gone wrong.

A confession - tonight I did not go to the Archbishop of Canterbury's presentation. I played hookey and went to an Angels game with some other Episcopalians. The Angels lost big time to the Texas Rangers. Maybe I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Is this the fun part?

Toni Marie

1 comment:

  1. Dear Toni Marie and all who have given us food for thought!
    Thank you so much for doing this. It gives those of us who are not there to get a sense of what is happening. Keep up the great work!!!!!!

    Love to all of you,
    Mary Janda

    ReplyDelete