Monday, July 13, 2009

Attending an Episcopalian Megachurch by Kathy Horvat

Recessional with liturgical dancers










Some of Utah's Youth lining up for communion









Bishop Carolyn in Rochet and Chimere, before Eucharist








Every day we have a Community Eucharist, which has an attendance of a couple of thousand people, but on Sunday morning, the numbers were increased to an estimated 7000 people, sitting in a huge hall. I was singing in the volunteer choir, which probably numbered somewhere around 100 yesterday. A large and powerful gospel choir from Los Angeles joined us. They also sang a couple of powerful songs.

The pageantry of this service was incredible. The 100+ bishops were led in by a group of young Asisan Drummers, as well as some large streamers. Then they were followed by dancers who filled the stage, moving as we sang the opening hymns, "Holy, Holy, Holy," and "Christ is Made the Sure Foundation." In addition to traditional hymns we sang Spanish, Gospel and classical. The offeratory anthem sung by the choir was one of my favorites, Mozart's "Ave Verum." The service ended with a rousing rendition of the old hymn, "O Zion Haste," with its urge in the chorus to "Publish Glad Tidings."

I have been conveying details of this wonderful service, but I can't seem to find the words to express how I felt. Certainly, it touched my spirit and my heart. The energy of the thousands who were singing with me energized and lifted me. While I have no desire to be part of a megachurch, today's service caused me to realize why they are attractive to so many unchurched people who come through their doors. I hope that we can generate more of the same kind of enthusiasm and life in our churches in Utah, encouraging visitors to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment